Here at the YMCA, a wide variety of aquatic programs are offered to meet the needs of swimmers of all ages and abilities. Swim lessons, therapy programs, life guarding certification and exercise classes are held in our two state-of-the-art indoor pools. All of our classes are staffed by certified instructors, with your safety and enjoyment in mind.
Click here for Swim lessons summer 2014 flyer
The YMCA Swim Lesson Program incorporates five key components, incorporated throughout a seven or eight-week program session:
- Personal Safety – We emphasize being safety conscious in and around the water, learning survival skills, safety and self rescue principles.
- Personal Growth -Instructors help students to form values, become role models, develop a decision-making process, and show leadership qualities.
- Water Orientation/Stroke Development – The main goals are to orient beginners to the water and to refine the strokes and endurance for intermediate and advance swimmers.
- Water Sports and Games – These help to develop stamina, skill, create a positive attitude, and lead to cooperation. They also serve as the introduction to a lifelong enjoyment and participation in aquatic sports.
- Rescue – Children are given a basic introduction to rescue skills including: reaching and throwing assists, rescue breathing, first aid and emergency procedures
Our progressive swimming programs start with Parent/Child Classes for infants (6 months) – 3 years. Parents and small children learn about water safety, floating, splashing and water movement.
Preschool Swimming Lessons for ages 3-5 are divided into ability levels where kids learn the basics of swimming, submerging and arm/leg movements.
Youth Aquatic Program for youth ages 6 and older are also divided into ability levels where swimming starts at the beginning level and is fine-tuned in the advanced classes.
More than just “learning the strokes.” Lessons include, personal safety ,stroke development, rescue and more!
Private Lessons are offered for both children and adults. Seven. 30 minute lessons are arranged between the student and instructor.
Aquatic Fitness Classes
We offer a variety of water fitness classes for adults and teens ranging from low intensity, which is excellent on the joints, to mid/high intensity.
Safety and Certification Classes
Become a certified lifeguard or swim instructor at the YMCA! Next session of classes begin in June 2014.
Lifeguard Flyer-June 2014
Did you know, seven-year-olds receive FREE SWIM LESSONS at the Y, thanks to a collaboration between SkanRaces.com, the Auburn YMCA-WEIU, and the Skaneateles YMCA & Community Center. This program is open to both members and the general public. For more information call the Y at 315.253.5304