Here at the YMCA, a wide variety of aquatic programs are offered to meet the needs of swimmers of all ages and abilities. Swim lessons, therapy programs, life guarding certification and exercise classes are held in our two state-of-the-art indoor pools. All of our classes are staffed by certified instructors, with your safety and enjoyment in mind. Click here for Swim Lesson Flyer 2017..Click here to view the Deep End Testing Policy
The YMCA Swim Lesson Program incorporates five key components, incorporated throughout a seven or eight-week program session:
- Personal Safety – We emphasize being safety conscious in and around the water, learning survival skills, safety and self rescue principles.
- Personal Growth -Instructors help students to form values, become role models, develop a decision-making process, and show leadership qualities.
- Water Orientation/Stroke Development – The main goals are to orient beginners to the water and to refine the strokes and endurance for intermediate and advance swimmers.
- Water Sports and Games – These help to develop stamina, skill, create a positive attitude, and lead to cooperation. They also serve as the introduction to a lifelong enjoyment and participation in aquatic sports.
- Rescue – Children are given a basic introduction to rescue skills including: reaching and throwing assists, rescue breathing, first aid and emergency procedures
Our progressive swimming programs start with Parent/Child Classes for infants (6 months) – 3 years. Parents and small children learn about water safety, floating, splashing and water movement.
Preschool Swimming Lessons for ages 3-5 are divided into ability levels where kids learn the basics of swimming, submerging and arm/leg movements.
Youth Aquatic Program for youth ages 6 and older are also divided into ability levels where swimming starts at the beginning level and is fine-tuned in the advanced classes.
More than just “learning the strokes.” Lessons include, personal safety ,stroke development, rescue and more!
Private Lessons are offered for both children and adults. Seven. 30 minute lessons are arranged between the student and instructor.
Click for an article on how parents can help their children overcome the fear of swimming
NEW! SAFETY AROUND WATER
Teaching children how to be safe around water is not a luxury; it is a necessity. The YMCA’s Safety Around Water program can help you make sure they learn essential water safety skills, which can open up a world of possibilities for them to satisfy
their curiosity safely. Click here for more information
Safety and Certification Classes
Fall Lifeguard Class Flyer
Aquatic Fitness Classes ..Water Fitness Information and Schedule
We offer a variety of water fitness classes for adults and teens ranging from low intensity, which is excellent on the joints, to mid/high intensity.
Did you know, seven-year-old children receive FREE SWIM LESSONS at the Auburn YMCA-WEIU, and the Skaneateles YMCA & Community Center. This program is open to both members and the general public, pre-registration is required. For more information call the Y at 315.253.5304